Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Emotional policing

8.30PM on a Wednesday evening. Thiruvanmiyur Beach.

It's no longer secluded like it used to be, there are several families and groups of people all along the stretch.

So me and my boy J were sitting on the ledge talking and laughing, when we saw a beautifully red moon rising.

I love the moon. It's been a long time since I saw one rising out of the sea. I wanted a closer look. We moved to the sand.

We were there for about 10 to 15 minutes when suddenly two or three policemen come walking down the beach, pulling up all the couples. Uh oh, this could be trouble.

The fattest one says, "Thambi, inga vaa paa." So the thambi very respectfully gets up and goes, expecting a rash comment or something.

Except, the policeman goes, "How can you do something like this? Isn't it wrong? You shouldn't come to the beach like this with a girl. What will your parents think?"

And J goes, "Our parents know sir, you want me to give them a call?" One super look of shock on police uncles face. He calls me, "Nee inga vaa ma."

I get up and walk to them sans slippers and ask what seems to be the problem. He unleashes the same tactic on me, "How can you come to the beach at this time? Did you think about your parents? What are you doing here?"

And I say, "Sir, I am a reporter, and I am here with my parents knowledge. If you want, you can talk to them from my mobile directly. Is there any other problem?"

By now police uncle is fully confused. The couple next to us were thoroughly scared like he expected them to be, and he has his deputies haranguing them as he grills us. But we? He was not expecting that.

Anyway, he says we shouldn't hang around here any more since it is 'late" and we should get home safely.

As we leave the seashore, J and I wonder what these moral/emotional police would say if we tell them that we are married, since they are so shocked just by the fact that we are there and our parents know. "Enna kudumbamo idhu," must have definitely run through police uncles mind!

We decide to try that out next time.

We walk back to the ledge and continue watching the moon rise.

Just another day in paradise.

2 comments:

  1. hehe!nice...J should have tried calling his dad.
    I wish i could have seen J's dads reaction ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, he was just playing it down so I could say the whole "I'm from the press" bit ;)

      Delete