Sunday, September 23, 2012

My new thing for today

So lately I've been on a F.R.I.E.N.D.S trip. Watching episode after episode till my deadline, or the one-hour power cut stops me.

Recently, I watched the one with all the resolutions - I don't ever bother with that because I won't do it and it's all one big comedy. Anyway. Ross says he wants to do one new thing a day, and it ends when he goes on a disaster date with Elizabeth Hornswagle (I know, right?), wearing leather pants no less.

I realised I get to do at least one new thing a week in my job. Well, at least it was that frequent when I first started working here. And it's all about the experiences, be it interacting with the election commissioner, randomly adopting a puppy from an adoption drive or just getting a chance to eat at all the fancy places in the city.

Today, after a long time, I had a new experience. I went sailing. Yes. In a regatta (or Raghuthaathaa, as my dear boss calls it). I even handled a jib sail and all. So fancy I felt. Of course I got queasy because there was no wind and our boat Tern kept bobbing up and down even though the water wasn't so choppy or anything. It was fun nonetheless, getting onto a boat with three other people I had never met before, trusting them not to let the boat capsize (mostly because I had my BB with me, and it has thanni-la gandam, or bad luck with water) and actually making it past the finish line first. Oh yeah. We did. Woohoo.

At least for the one race I was on-board we won. Who knows what happened after that. I abandoned ship. I had to. I had a deadline. BAH.

But still, I got to go back to the Royal Madras Yacht Club (RMYC) in a motorised dinghy controlled by a muscular, wiry coast guard guy. That was a lot more fun, believe me. Sea spray on my face, wind in my hair... Ahhh.

But the best part of it was being able to share my experiences, by putting it down in words for readers to read the next day. And that was when the experience became whole and complete.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment